How To Safely Clean Mold In Your Home

29 May 2015
 Categories: , Blog


Most homes get some mold at some point in time. Whether it's a small patch under the sink or an area in the cupboard where your water heater is stored, mold is something you constantly need to be on the lookout for. Spotting some mold doesn't mean your home is doomed to be condemned, but it is something you need to get under control right away before it poses a serious health risk to your family and threatens to permanently damage your home. Follow the tips below to get rid of mold in your home:

Gear up – The first thing you want to do is make sure you gather all the supplies you are going to need to get rid of the mold and to stay healthy while you are doing it. You want to make sure you have these items:

  • Junk clothing you can throw away
  • Rubber cleaning gloves
  • A breathing mask
  • A spray bottle of equal parts bleach and water
  • A scrub brush
  • 2 rags
  • Safety goggles
  • A plastic sheet

Cleaning the mold – Spread the plastic sheet on the floor around the area where the mold is. Bleach will turn carpet white, so it's important you protect it. Put your goggles and gloves on to protect you from the spray. Put the breathing mask on so you don't ingest mold spores during the cleaning.

Spray the solution onto a medium sized portion of the mold and let it set for a couple of minutes. Spray a little bit more cleaner and use the scrub brush on the mold in a slow, circular motion. Take the rag and wipe the area. Continue cleaning the mold in this manner until you can see that it is all gone.

Do the next section in the same manner as above and move on to the next area. Once you have cleaned up all of the mold, you want to give the entire area another generous spraying and use a clean rag to really work the bleach solution in. It's important that you get every bit out so it won't grow back.

Following the steps detailed in this article should get rid of the mold and keep it from coming back. However, you will also need to take care of the issue that caused the mold to grow to begin with. This could be a leaky nearby pipe, a leaky roof or another source of dampness.

If you find an area of mold too tricky for you to tackle, contact a specialist service like Commonwealth Moisture And Mold Specialists Llc to remove it for you.