2 Signs You Have Hidden Mold in Your HomeShare
If you or one of your family members have been suffering from allergy symptoms lately whenever you or they are home, you may start to wonder whether or not you have mold growing somewhere in your house that you cannot find. If so, look for the following signs that you may have hidden mold growth in your home.
1. You Detect a Musty Odor in Areas Throughout Your House
One thing that you may notice when you have mold growing undetected somewhere in your house is the presence of a musty odor. This smell may be stronger in some areas than others, but you may detect a faint odor throughout your house.
Mold causes this odor in a couple of ways. First, the chemicals and waste products that it releases into wooden surfaces on which it is growing already have a musty odor to them. Second, since the wood itself stays moist underneath the fungal growth, the fibers start to break down, and the wood begins to rot. This rotting of the wood then contributes to the smell, making it stronger as the mold growth spreads.
2. Your Windows Always Seem to Be Fogged Up
Another sign that you may not immediately attribute to mold growth is the constant presence of condensation on the windows in your house. If your windows are fogged up, that means that there is a lot of moisture built up inside your home. While foggy windows are not caused by the mold itself, the condensation does contribute to it. This excess moisture permeates the walls, ceilings, and floors, making an ideal environment in which the mold can grow and thrive.
You may also notice that the paint or wallpaper around the windows is starting to peal, meaning that the moisture has already saturated the walls and made its way inside. Because the interior of the walls is dark, mold spores can easily sprout, spread, and thrive. Especially if you notice the strong musty odor around these areas, the mold has probably already taken hold.
If you notice either or both of the above signs, you may have hidden mold lurking somewhere in your house. If you suspect that this may be the case, contact a local company such as KC Mold Guys that could come and inspect your home, identify the problem areas, and then discuss your options for getting rid of the fungal growth.